Summary of Overall Job Function
The primary objective of the Database Administrator (“DBA”) is to develop and maintain Sentient’s corporate databases, ensuring the integrity, security, retention, and recoverability of data. In this role, the DBA will design, build, test, and deploy quality database solutions that are consistent with project objectives, technology architecture standards, and best practices. The DBA will design and implement database strategies, administer enterprise-wide data architecture, implement complex data structures, and provide daily management of all corporate databases. They will also be involved in troubleshooting any issues on behalf of users.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- All aspects of database administration including installation, configuration, upgrades, patching, migration, capacity planning, performance, backup and recovery
- Establishing user needs, controlling access permissions and privileges, and monitoring user access and security
- Monitoring database performance, including including performance tuning, query optimization, and supportability; managing parameters to provide fast responses to front-end users
- Installing and testing new versions of the DBMS; evaluating patch releases from database providers and patching requests, as well as communicating constraints, issues, and timelines for deployment
- On-call support, including ETL processing, preventative action follow-through, and participation in periodic operations reviews
- Mapping out the conceptual design for planned databases, considering both back-end organization of data and front-end accessibility for end-users
- Develop and implement database security polices and procedures, in line with corporate objectives
- Create and maintain appropriate documentation about the database and the data architecture, including data standards, procedures, and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata); Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
Experience, Education & Other Skills
- Bachelors degree in information technology and 5+ years database management experience required
- Familiarity with computer operating systems and database technology (design, software and structure) is essential
- Understanding of High Availability and Disaster Recovery requirements and solutions
- Previous experience implementing data warehousing projects within a marketing research environment is a plus
- Candidates must be patient, meticulous and logical in their work and capable of prioritizing tasks; good problem solving, analytical, administrative, organizational, communication and interpersonal skills are also important
- Competitive compensation and excellent benefits including 401K plan and profit sharing, health, dental, and disability insurance
Sentient Decision Science, Inc. is headquartered in Portsmouth, NH. Portsmouth is an Atlantic coastal city an hour north of Boston and 45 minutes from Portland, ME. The city is a cultural hub for the surrounding Seacoast area with a world-class restaurant and arts scene.
Portsmouth is an idyllic New England micro-city that offers a high standard of living and is an outdoor activity playground with easy access to hiking and skiing in the mountains of NH and kayaking on the rivers, lakes and ocean. Sentient has additional corporate offices in Scottsdale, AZ.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to email@example.com Learn more about Sentient Decision Science, Inc. at www.sentientdecisonscience.com. You may also follow us on Twitter @SentientInsight.
Sentient Decision Science, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.