Sentient Decision Science, Inc. is looking for a behavioral scientist.
Summary of Overall Job Function
The Behavioral Scientist position is a central position within Sentient Decision Science that makes important contributions in three key areas: business development, custom client research, R&D innovation (research and technology). Successful candidates for the position will have a research background in quantitative experimental psychology including expertise in choice modeling and experience with implicit social cognition and behavioral economics effects.
The Behavioral Scientist will apply critical skills in consumer choice study design, including the incorporation of implicit and emotional measures that more accurately forecast market behavior, to answer business questions for Global Fortune 500 companies. The applied research studies at Sentient focus on consumer product optimization, new product concept testing, emotional advertising evaluation, package testing, brand positioning and tracking, implicit attitude and use tests, and customer experience.
Advanced behavioral science techniques will fill out the research toolbox for the Behavioral Scientist in the design and execution of research studies including Sentient Prime implicit associations, eye-tracking (lab based and online), facial coding of emotions, discrete choice design software, EEG and psychophysiological measures. associations with products, packaging, brands and advertising through deep exposure to our proprietary methods. With these skills, you will be in a position for significant career growth progression within Sentient.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Business Development Support
- Consult with Account Executives (VPs and SVPs) on advanced research design including conscious and non-conscious measures to inform proposals for Global Fortune 500 companies
- Create demonstrations for proposal presentations including experimentally designed studies that include implicit measures, eye-tracking, facial coding and choice exercises
- Participate in proposal presentation meetings and calls providing scientific expertise and deep knowledge on human motivation and decision-making processes
Custom Client Research
- Devising sampling plans, including determining representativeness, establishing quotas, and ensuring acceptable error margins
- Creating experimental design on custom research projects
- Creating advanced method design on custom research projects including implicit research technology, choice based conjoint methods, eye-tracking, facial coding and neurophysiological measures
- Creating study instruments including attitudinal and behavioral questions, incorporated with advanced design components, specifying all logic
- Creating data analysis plans including a priori hypotheses and predictive models
- Cleaning data, writing syntax, weighting data, estimating utilities, creating analysis variables, creating choice simulators, creating tables
- Building predictive models
- Analyzing data patterns and forming story building blocks through analytics
- Pressure testing hypotheses against current knowledge
- Creating coherent story by pulling key insights from data analysis into structure
- Writing conclusions and business recommendations
- Supporting the client services team to presenting final insights when necessary
- Contributing to the Sentient Decision Science blog and newsletters on consumer psychology and the application of behavioral science to business
- Contributing to white papers on the application of behavioral science to business
R&D Innovation via Sentient’s Consumer Subconscious Research Lab
- As part of this position, you will be contributing to the ongoing applied and fundamental research on human behavior within the Sentient Consumer Subconscious Research Lab. The lab was created in order to support our mission of advancing human understanding on the drivers of behavior and to conduct research on research to create and refine methods that we bring to the market research industry
- The lab currently houses technology for conducting research with the following methods: dense array EEG, psychophysiological measures, stationary eye-tracking, Sentient Prime implicit association testing, facial coding, online eye-tracking, and choice based conjoint software
- In this position, you will work with Chief Behavioral Scientist, Aaron Reid, Ph.D. to conduct R&D innovation research on research, foundational consumer psychology studies, and client focused non-conscious research projects
Experience, Education & Other Skills
- 3-5 years of market research experience is preferred
- Ph.D. in experimental psychology with focus on judgment and decision-making, implicit social cognition and behavioral economics
- Strong data analytics, research design, choice modeling and statistical testing skills required. Experience with multiple statistical packages a plus (SPSS, SAS, R)
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to be fully engaged in work, demonstrate creative problem solving, inspire others with work output, and focused on personal and professional growth a must
Competitive compensation and excellent benefits including 401K plan and profit sharing, health, dental, and disability insurance
Sentient Decision Science, Inc. is headquartered in Portsmouth, NH. Portsmouth is an Atlantic coastal city an hour north of Boston and 45 minutes from Portland, ME. The city is a cultural hub for the surrounding Seacoast area with a world-class restaurant and arts scene.
Portsmouth is an idyllic New England micro-city that offers a high standard of living and is an outdoor activity playground with easy access to hiking and skiing in the mountains of NH and kayaking on the rivers, lakes and ocean. Sentient has additional corporate offices in Scottsdale, AZ.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Learn more about Sentient Decision Science, Inc. at www.sentientdecisonscience.com. You may also follow us on Twitter @SentientInsight.
Sentient Decision Science, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.